Cathaoirleach is the Irish word for Chairperson. The Chairperson of the County Council is an elected Member of the Council. At the Annual General Meeting of the Council each year the elected Members select from amongst their number a person to be the Cathaoirleach for the succeeding twelve month period. The Statutory Provisions relating to the position of Cathaoirleach are contained in Part 5 of the Local Government Act 2001, Sections 31, 32, 33 and 34.
The holder of the office of Cathaoirleach of the County Council is deemed to be the First Citizen of the county. The Cathaoirleach presides over the Meetings of the County Council and Area Council Meetings. In addition to that, the Cathaoirleach attends Ceremonial Functions and Official Opening Ceremonies. The Cathaoirleach is also the person who accords Civic Honours.
- Contact: Tom Mulhall M.C.C.F.G.
- Address: Cappakeel, Emo, Portlaoise, Co Laois
- Work Phone: (086) 2493721
- Home Phone: (057) 86 26139
Meet our Leas-Cathaoirleach – Mr. Padraig Fleming M.C.C. F.F.
- Contact: Mr. Padraig Fleming M.C.C.F.F.
- Address: Westbank House, The Swan, Co Laois
- Work Phone: (087) 2801677
- Home Phone: (059) 86 35595