Artists in Schools
Grants are made available for artists’ residencies in schools, to include all art forms. This scheme gives primary and post primary schools the opportunity to select and work with professional artists and explore new arts media. Open to national and secondary schools throughout the county the application is made by the school in partnership with the artist and each application is adjudicated on its overall artistic benefits and ideals. Contact the Arts Office to request hard copy.
The Arts Office are delighted with the success of the Artists in Schools Scheme throughout the years and each year the standard and outcomes of the residencies gets better and better with 2016 being no exception. The scheme benefits both the artist and the students taking part – experimenting, enquiring, designing and creating, inspires confidence and imagination in all.
In 2016 nine schools were selected by adjudication panel to take part in this scheme where the artists delivers the project directly into the school. Some of the schools have already completed the residencies and a number of glowing reports have been sent in to the office from teachers and students taking part.
Participating schoolsand projects in 2016 include:
- Gaelscoil Phortlaoise – artist Pauline Hyland 1916 mural project
- Shanahoe National School – artist Janet O’Grady “Plastic Paradise” using recycled materials
- Scoil Mhuire Abbeyleix – artist Janet O’Grady Wall Mural using recycled materials
- Portlaoise Educate Together – artist Ania Necel –Kruppa outdoor sculpture project
- Abbeyleix South N.S. – artist Fin O’Hara pottery project using different processes with clay
- Abbans N.S. Maganey – artist Mary Slevin Visual arts project using fairy tales as inspiration
- The Heath N.S. – artist Aishling Hennessy mural project themed on Past to Present to Future
- Wolfhill NS – artist Janet O’Grady puppets using recycled materials
- Cosby NS Stradbally – artist Edyta Szymanska sculpture project using clay and organic materials.