- The Local Government Reform Act 2014, provides for the establishment of Local Community Development Committees (LCDC) in the 31 local authority areas.
- This is one of the main alignment reforms of local government.
- LCDC’s replace County Development Boards, and while retaining the collaborative nature of CDBs, have an enhanced role and different structure.
- LCDCs key function is to achieve a more strategic, joined up approach to local and community development.
- LCDCs will have oversight and responsibility for local development and community related funding in their county.
- The LCDC is responsible for the rollout and monitoring of delivery of social inclusion programme Social Inclusion Community Activation Programme 2015—2018 (SICAP).
- The LCDC will also be responsible Rural Development Programme and is currently preparation a Draft Local Development Strategy for the county.
- Each LCDC will develop a six year Economic and Community Plan (LECP). This plan will agree the strategic framework for economic and community development for the county. It will inform community and local development resource allocation, and inform other planning processes.
- The community element of the plan will be prepared by the LCDC, with the economic element prepared by the SPC for Economic Development and Enterprise Support.
- There is a requirement that both elements are prepared concurrently and form the basis for one overall LECP. This plan will be presented for approval by Council in early 2015.
- LCDCs are based on membership from statutory and non-statutory bodies (who hold the majority of seats). Administrative and secretariat support is provided by the local authority.
County Laois LCDC is based on a seventeen member committee. The first meeting was held on Wednesday, 17 September 2014.
MEMBERSHIP OF LAOIS LOCAL COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
Cllr John King, Laois County Council
Cllr Paschal McEvoy, Laois County Council
Cllr Jerry Lodge, Laois County Council
Mr John Mulholland, Chief Executive, Laois County Council
Ms Evelyn Reddin, CEO, Laois Local Enterprise Office
Mr David Hackett, Dept of Social Protection
Mr Joseph Ruane, Health Services Executive
Ms Linda Tynan, Laois/Offaly Education & Training Board
Non Statutory Interests
Ms Anne Goodwin, CEO, Laois Partnership Company
Mr Michael Bergin, Farming Pillar
Mr Dave Fingleton, Laois Public Participation Network (Environment Pillar)
Mr Paddy Buggy, Laois Public Participation Network (Social Inclusion Pillar)
Ms Mary White, Laois Public Participation Network (Social Inclusion Pillar)
Mr PJ Campbell, Laois Public Participation Network (Community/Voluntary Pillar)
Mr Robbie Quinn, Laois Public Participation Network (Community/Voluntary Pillar)
Mr Joe Thompson, Youth Work Ireland Laois
Mr Kieran Finane, Business Sector
Chief Officer, Laois LCDC – Mr Michael Rainey, Senior Executive Officer, Laois County Council
Tel No: 057 86 64000