Comhairle Chontae Laoise – Laois County Council – Walking Leaders
Walking Leaders Training Course
Walking Leader Training is primarily aimed at people wishing to promote walking in the community or workplace.
Irish Heart Foundation are subsidising the Walking Leader Training weekend (15 hours) and there is a nominal cost of €80, this will cover two nights shared accommodation as well as breakfast, lunch and coffee breaks. It will also cover your tutor costs and the materials for the duration of the course. Evening meals are not included. All weekend courses start at 7.30pm on Friday evening and finish on Sunday afternoon.
Before committing to the training, it is important to remember that the aim of each course is to have a panel of trained leaders ready to implement their skills in their own communities. We will therefore expect all participants to organise walks on a regular basis after the course has ended.
Current recommendations for health enhancing physical activity for adults, and how they relate to walking:
- The main elements of a health-enhancing walking session
- Prescribing walking programmes suitable for people of different fitness levels
- Advice on issues such as posture, technique, stretching, intensity, clothing, etc.
- Safety issues
- Planning walking sessions and programmes
- Developing a Slí na Sláinte route
- How to start your own Slí walking group
- Practical Walking Sessions
If you are interested in attending any courses please contact The Irish Heart Foundation for their contact details and registration forms.