Click here to view our Sewerage Schemes network drawings.

Licence to discharge trade effluent to a sewer

Local Government (Water Pollution) Act 1977 & 1990

Under the Local Government (Water Pollution) Act 1977 and 1990 and its regulations a licence is required by any company that discharges trade effluent (including cooling waters) to a sewer.

“Trade effluent” is described as effluent from any work, apparatus, plant or drainage pipe used for the disposal to waters or to a sewer of any liquid (whether treated or untreated), either with or without particles of matter in suspension therein, which is discharged from premises used for carrying on any trade or industry (including mining), but does not include domestic sewage or storm water.

A licence is not required for the discharge of domestic sewage to a sewer.

The licence is subject to an application fee of €380 and an annual fee which is calculated to offset the cost of personnel, administration and laboratory testing associated with the monitoring of the licence.


Small Business Discharge to Sewer

Please click on the Following:

Discharge to sewer small business application form

Explanatory notes small business discharge to sewer application


For a Large Business Discharge to Sewer

Please click on the following:

Discharge to sewer large business application form