Private Wells & Grants
Water Connection – Drilling a Well
If your property is incapable of being served by either a public or group scheme, you may decide to arrange for your own private well to be drilled.
Is there a grant towards the costs?
In certain circumstances, a grant may be obtained from the County Council. The maximum grant payable is €2,031.58 or 75% of the cost of the work, whichever is the lesser.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for a grant, a person must be providing a piped water supply to an existing house for the first time.
carrying out improvements to a seriously deficient existing piped water supply to a house.
Who is NOT eligible for a Grant?
A person is not eligible for a grant if, in the opinion of Laois County Council:
- the house is under construction or has been constructed within the previous 7 years
- grant has been paid within the previous 7 years for the provision of a house
- a grant has been paid within the previous 7 years for the provision or improvement of a water supply to the house
- the house is not occupied by the applicant as their normal place of residence
- the house is presently connected to a public or group water scheme
- the area in which the house is located or is about to be served by a public or group water scheme
- the approved cost is less than €634.87
- the work is carried out before Laois County Council inspect and approve the proposals
What works qualify under the scheme?
- drilling or commissioning a new well.
- improvement works to an existing well.
- providing or upgrading a supply from a surface water source.
- construction or improvement of a pumphouse and/or piping for a supply of water
- provision or improvement of equipment for the treatment of a supply of water.
An inspection by Laois County Council of the proposed work will determine the costs and whether the works qualify for a grant.
Download Well Grant forms